Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 26-05-10, 15:34

Default Are all Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists this good?

Elizabeth King - 4th person down is possibly the daughter of one of my Linksons (sarah who married a Robert Tilbury - so looking promising)

Is this just a luck hit on an ove rhepful form filler or are they all this good?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...32768&pid=8959

~~ May your House be free from tigers ~~

Old 26-05-10, 15:36

My touch typing is rubbish

*wanders off for a screen break*

Old 26-05-10, 15:58
Administrator

Lol!!!

Joanie
Old 26-05-10, 18:59

Is that what's meant by spaced-out?
Old 26-05-10, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by samesizedfeet View Post
Elizabeth King - 4th person down is possibly the daughter of one of my Linksons (sarah who married a Robert Tilbury - so looking promising)

Is this just a luck hit on an ove rhepful form filler or are they all this good?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...32768&pid=8959
Hi Zoe,

Its no fluke, almost all of the assisted migrants are documented just like this. There is another set of registers, immigration deposit journals, which sometimes have complementary and differing information, but not all voyages have the second set of registers, I am not sure why.

These immigration records are how I traced my family back to England, almost all of them were assisted migrants and these gave me their parents names, mostly and where they were from, so I knew where to start looking.

From the very start, NSW was run by a government bureaucracy and they kept records of everything, because they had to account for everything, even done to the last nail, back to the home government.

Di
Old 26-05-10, 22:41

Thank you Di.

Its really strange - I think I have access to this set of records because it lets me click through from the attachment on this man's tree, but if I do a search it doesn't come up in my search results.

Anyway, having spent about an hour inbetween work collating all the information I could on the Tilburys to see if I could work it back I googled and found a thread from myself on here back in January where I came to the conclusion I couldn't totally trust the information because the death for Robert Tilbury (the father) looks to be wrong.

So I can't guarantee that they're following the right parents backwards or have just latched on to an appropriately named couple. Mainly because Robert and Sarah didn't marry until 1824 and all their supposed children were born before that. I'm going to ignore it for now.

I trust that should I bring the Tilburys up in another 6 months time someone will remember I've done it already.

Z
x

Old 27-05-10, 10:15

Zoe Job King is one of my rellies. His sister Edith is my 3 g grandma.

I don't think I've done the research on this myself, I was given it by someone who does proper research, but Job married Elizabeth Tilbury. So yes I think this is your lady.

Elizabeth died in 1869.

Last edited by Kit; 27-05-10 at 10:17.
Old 27-05-10, 19:11

Wooooah. There's a response I didn't expect at all!

Wow.

My worry is more about Elizabeth Tilbury's parents. Until the LMA came out on ancestry she didn't appear anywhere at all. I'd never even come across her. Now she appears on several trees as having married Robert Tilbury and I'm not convinced that people have been looking for a Robert Tilbury marrying a Sarah and hooked onto that marriage as the best fit.

I should probably try and get a look at the baptism for Elizabeth Tilbury or her siblings to see if it gives a maiden name for Sarah.

Old 28-05-10, 02:36

Does your Sarah Linkson have a relative called Robert Linkson? He's the witness at the Tilbury-Linkson marriage. The other one looks like Elizabeth Field.

I've had a look at my contacts GR tree but she doesn't have parents for Elizabeth on there.
Old 28-05-10, 20:33

She has a father and a brother called Robert Linkson (although her brother was only 13 when she married).

I don't really have huge doubts about the Sarah Linkson marrying Robert Tilbury being connected to me, there's only the one Linkson family in London at this time and the signatures for Robert on her marriage match others I have.

My doubts are whether Robert Tilbury and Sarah Linkson are the same Robert and Sarah who are parents of Elizabeth Tilbury. Really need to get a look at the baptisms for the Tilburys.

I'm probably being too picky about it but I want to get it right.
Most others researching the Linkson family have the father of them all as Robert Linkson born 1763 in Midlothian, son of James Linkson and Janet Grieve.
But there's no further proof other than on 1841 Robert says he's born in Scotland and the Midlothian birth matches his age. I can't find anything to show that Scottish Robert moved to London or to prove he didn't stay in Scotland. I still won't make the leap after 5 years as it's not conclusive enough for me.

I'm a very cautious researcher.