Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 26-11-12, 20:53
tenterfieldjulie

Default Mary Ann Greentree nee Callow - Norfolk and NSW (OH FFFM)

Name: Mary Ann Greentree nee Callow (also Carlow and McKellar)
Date and place of birth: C 1805 Norwich, Norfolk
Names of parents: (Sad to say that in researching Mary Callow's supposed mother Hannah Callow nee Watts on the TOGGG thread, Kate found censuses for 1841 and 1851 which proved that Mary Callow, daughter of John and Hannah Callow, is not the Mary Callow who was transported to Australia. Mary Ann Callow was married 30/5/1824 at St. James With Pockthorpe, Norwich to Richard Smith. Mary and her daughter are on the 1841 Census and the granddaughter is on the 1851 Census with Hannah Callow nee Watts and Hannah's brother Frederick Watts.)
Date and place of baptism:
Marriage: William Greentree on 14 September, 1829 at C of E Windsor, NSW V 182946583B (On 1 Sep 1829 the Governor granted permission for William Greentree age 45 who has arrived on the ‘Marquis of Wellington’, sentenced to life but now holding a ticket-of-leave to marry Mary Callow or Carlow, aged 25 who had arrived on ‘Mary III’, sentenced to 7 years and now free.)
Occupation(s): Housemaid. Convicted with Rebecca Furness at Norwich City Azzises for stealing cotton gowns and tablecloths - sentenced to NSW for 7 years arrived Sydney on 18/10/1823 on the “Mary”. Physical description: 5 ft 1 ½ inches tall, Fresh freckles, brown hair and grey eyes
Addresses where they lived: Norwich, Norfolk; Parramatta Female Factory, Windsor and McGrath’s Hill, NSW
Date, place and cause of death: 23rd April, 1874 Windsor, NSW Reg. No. 8388
Date and place of burial: April, 1874 C of E Windsor, NSW
Details of will / administration of their estate: Unlikely
Memorial inscription: None

Children: Sarah 1826 (to George Barry) she took the name Greentree;
Henry b. 20 Jun 1830, Wilberforce, NSW;
Thomas b. 23 Dec 1831, Freemans Reach, NSW;
William b. 04 Oct 1833, Wilberforce, NSW;
Harriet b. 24 Jul 1835, Wilberforce, NSW;
George b. 29 Jan 1837, Windsor, NSW;
Caroline b. 03 Sep 1838, Windsor, NSW;
Reuben b. 05 Apr 1840, Windsor, NSW;
Richard b. 05 Sep 1841, Eastern Creek, NSW;
Anne b. 1844, Eastern Creek, NSW;
Mary b. 1844, Eastern Creek.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 27-11-12 at 07:26.
Old 31-01-13, 07:09
tenterfieldjulie

I just saw where Kate found an entry on Free Reg that wasn't there before and I went looking again for Mary Callow and I found the following:

County: Norfolk; Place: Norwich; Church: St Julian: Register Number: 1;
Date of Birth: 25 Jan 1802; Baptism Date: 31 Jan 1802;
Name: Mary;
Father: James CALLOW;
Mother: Rebeka COBB;
Notes: Privately Baptized; File Number: 5510.

I can't remember seeing this before. Can anyone who helped me before remember please?
Old 31-01-13, 07:56
Administrator

She could be the one who married William Griffiths 21 Dec 1820 at St Gregory, Norwich. FreeREG says spinster, and witnesses' names Robert Capp and Ann Griffiths. I'll see if I can find them on a census to see Mary's age.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 31-01-13, 08:03
Administrator

1841 Heigham, Norfolk William Griffiths 45 Plane M, Mary 39, William 15, Alfred 13, John 10, Sarah 8, Joseph 5.

1851 Mary Griffiths mother in law 49 born Norwich, living Clapham, Surrey with William Lucas and Ann E Lucas who is 27 born Norwich.

Baptism at Norwich St Giles 12 Oct 1823 Ann Elizabeth, daughter of William and Mary Griffiths, abode St Giles, father's occupation Plane Maker.

So it looks most likely that this is the Mary whose baptism you found, though of course not proved.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 31-01-13, 09:23
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Kate she does look like the baptism I found. If my Mary gave her correct age at her trial she is more than likely born 1805 but was just hoping ..