View Single Post
Old 30-03-19, 12:05
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquette View Post
I started with the easy ones - I filtered the matches by "common ancestor", they mostly have a family tree of some description. Then the Public Linked trees.

I used the colour coding to note which family they belong to. Yellow for father's side, Red for mothers. Specific families got an extra colour so I didn't have to keep checking - Green for Worner/Rodford, Pink for Brazill, Purple for Dawson/Page (mostly because there are not many of them). I used Starred Matches to be able to keep track of any matches I want to investigate more, or check to see if there are more matches coming up. I only had one Tupper match but now i have two, they don't match each other, but their family trees match.

On the page which shows Pedigree and Surnames, Shared Matches and Maps and Locations - there is a box above these headings and I use it to note as much as I need. I do note the common ancestor, because you can look at the note box on the first matches page, without having to page through again. I write who their ancestor was (in a family of 4 siblings who came to Australia, the MRCA is their parents, so I note the child's name. I also note shared matches as sometimes this helps and also likely names or places in their tree, so I can go back to them later.

Sometimes I write "tree of 6 people, all private" or "mostly USA, Wakefield name" (I have several matches with no known link, but they all have the Wakefield family in their trees). A couple of matches have now add more to their tree, which is helpful.
That is pretty much what I am doing.

I have sorted all 4th cousins and closer now into groups by which family name on my direct ancestors they are descended from and by English and Scottish, and also by country, because some from the same line are in 3 or 4 countries. I have also added a note on about their direct ancestor and how they are descended. So people are sometimes in three groups but at least two.

Of course there is an unknown group for 4th cousins and closer, and I have 23 in that some without trees and some with that I can't see the link for the life of me.

Distant ones I am trawling through those with trees and having a quick look, a couple were quite fruitful in that I spotted the link immediately.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 30-03-19 at 12:07.