View Single Post
Old 30-03-19, 08:45

I started with the easy ones - I filtered the matches by "common ancestor", they mostly have a family tree of some description. Then the Public Linked trees.

I used the colour coding to note which family they belong to. Yellow for father's side, Red for mothers. Specific families got an extra colour so I didn't have to keep checking - Green for Worner/Rodford, Pink for Brazill, Purple for Dawson/Page (mostly because there are not many of them). I used Starred Matches to be able to keep track of any matches I want to investigate more, or check to see if there are more matches coming up. I only had one Tupper match but now i have two, they don't match each other, but their family trees match.

On the page which shows Pedigree and Surnames, Shared Matches and Maps and Locations - there is a box above these headings and I use it to note as much as I need. I do note the common ancestor, because you can look at the note box on the first matches page, without having to page through again. I write who their ancestor was (in a family of 4 siblings who came to Australia, the MRCA is their parents, so I note the child's name. I also note shared matches as sometimes this helps and also likely names or places in their tree, so I can go back to them later.

Sometimes I write "tree of 6 people, all private" or "mostly USA, Wakefield name" (I have several matches with no known link, but they all have the Wakefield family in their trees). A couple of matches have now add more to their tree, which is helpful.