View Single Post
Old 25-02-20, 19:19
Administrator

Default Army records help please

My 2xg-grandmother's sister, Abigail Allchin, nee Seaman, married a Richard Edwards on the 28th May 1856 in Madras. He was age 30, single, a corporal in the 1st M[adras] Fusiliers, and his father's name was James Edwards. The witnesses were all connected with Abigail.

The couple had three children and by the time the youngest, Fanny Jane, was baptised, 6 Nov 1861, he was a Colour Sergeant in the 102nd Regiment of Foot / Royal Madras Fusiliers (the same regiment which was previously the 1st Madras Fusiliers).

I have found him on FMP's "British Army Worldwide Index 1861" as no 2827, Sergeant 102nd Foot (Royal Madras Fusiliers), stationed Bangalore. But what happened to him after that? I'm out of practice at searching the army records on FMP!

On the 27th Jul 1865 at Kurnool / Kurnaul, a baby Mary Annie Edwards was baptised, the daughter of Abigail Edwards. I'm pretty sure that this is my Abigail because the next child, Edward Charles, had a witness at his wedding who was one of Richard and Abigail's children.

I found Abigail listed as receiving an army pension after her first husband's death, but have found nothing relating to Richard.

Can anyone find what happened to him, please?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update