View Single Post
Old 04-09-15, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post

Mystery 1 - In 1878, enrolled at the local school with the Greentree children; (the oldest being Clara Ann), was an 8 yr old Alfred Shepherd. Alfred is named as the informant on Thomas death certificate & as his son. I am not sure whether he was fathered by Thomas, or in fact was the son of James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree (Thomas sister), who were witnesses at the marriage of Thomas & Catherine. I found the marriage of James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree in 1856 at Windsor. I also found a birth of Albert G Shepherd in 1869 at Goulburn parents James and Catherine. I am wondering if this a mis-spelling and it should be Caroline.
I would say not based on my research, James was deceased in 1866 and Caroline in 1869. All indicate that James and Caroline lived, married, had children and died in Windsor, NSW. Records show they had 4 children all girls. 2 surviving and 2 deceased. On daughter's Ann's birth certificate it does though list 1 male as deceased and on Mary's death list her mother's name as Catherine and not Caroline (Still Windsor though!). The records vary with the spelling of Shepherd/Shephard/Sheppard/Shepheard. Searching with a wildcard (*) helps I.E: Shep*

Also no sign of education of either parents or children and none could read or write. It should also be noted the reverse of witnesses on James and Caroline's marriage certificate where Thomas and Catherine Greentree returned the favour of their marriage a year before.

Regards, Jim

Last edited by Smooth; 04-09-15 at 06:30.