View Single Post
Old 07-01-22, 09:25
Administrator

There are three newspaper entries in the late 1890s, so this is a summary of those in order:

Drogheda Independent 01 May 1897

A list of facts for this column, which sound like tongue in cheek comments from local news, such as what various committees have been doing right or wrong, or local councils takig ages to get a job done etc etc, but includes:

"That Michael Martin and his wife, sometime of Balrothery Workhouse, had a cold honeymoon of it."

Drogheda Independent 10 July 1897

Michael came to the porter's hut at B W/H and was threatening, drunk and abusive and had a rock in his hand. the rest of what happened is similar to before, bt there is also these quotes from various officials:

That Martin is the fellow they call The Iron Man. He is a terrible fellow.

Is that the man who got married from here?

The very same. He is from Malahide too.

Is he now? Some terrible fellows from Malahide (much laughter)

Another of these Martin's was down here and married "the nut" (more laughter)

Not sure who that last bit refers to but included it for completeness!

Drogheda Independent 26 March 1898

Michael Martin requested a pair of new boots from the Workhouse. He was issued with old boots instead. He was described as 'the wife walloper' in the article. Apparently the doctor had said she shouldn't go out with Martin because of the baby.

That's a bit confusing as she wasn't very pregnant at ths time, and I doubt anyone would have cared about her welfare at this point, but surey all these snippets are about the family we are looking for?

And, Yes I do think that birth reg is the right one.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010