Thread: Eliza Enoch
View Single Post
Old 20-12-09, 21:20
Len of the Chilterns

Merry
Emma Kate Williams (nee Fairbrass) was my grandmother, my mother being Mildred Alice Williams.

To quote from my cousin Alan William's account (condensed):

When Emma Kate was 2, her mother Eliza remarried to William Maunders. He was a baker aged 23 and his address at the time of the marriage on 2nd June 1850 was 33 Pitt Street, Walworth and it was the same address where Emma Kate was born in 1848. The marriage was at St Peter's Church, Walworth. He was a batchelor and she a widow.
Her age on the cert, was given as 24 though she was already 21 at the time of her first marriage in 1844.
The marriage of Eliza to William Maunder explains a family mystery whereby two of Emma Kate's children's birth certs. gave her maiden name as Maunders (sic) although Fairbrass appears on the birth certs of other children.
Although "Emma Kate" was registered on birth as "Emma", "Kate" appeared on her marriage and death cert. She was generally known as Kate.

If you would like to borrow a copy "The Williams Family of Abingdon" by Alan Williams, please PM me. It consists of 55 sheets of A4 with cover in a spiral binder.