View Single Post
Old 20-04-16, 03:52

I trust you already saw my email response earlier today, Elizabeth. Thank you so much for all your efforts. It's going on midnight now and I'm going cross-eyed!There's an awful lot of material here to work through. I knew that a lot had appeared online since the last time I worked on George Spence, but I didn't realize just how much. I'll post what I've looked at so far. I'm trying to move slowly and carefully, incorporating new finds into my tree as I go.

The numbers refer to your post numbers.

================================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Janet, the baptism, complete with image, is viewable on FMP.
Yes, I have FMP currently and had not noticed that this old post refers only to IGI. Thanks, Elizabeth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
In 1841 there is a George Spence working as a Male Servant for a farmer, James Waddington, in the Knaresborough district:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...1%2f0009556983

This would fit in with George becoming a groom. His age is given as 15, but the ages of the servants are all multiples of 5!

Edit: I don't think this is him now.
See 1841 Census below.
That's very interesting, Elizabeth. I agree that it's definitely him in York on the 1841 in your post #12. But this makes me wonder if he could have been enumerated twice. It wouldn't be the last time he lied about his age, and anyway they would have rounded his age on the 1841 so maybe not even a lie. I did have another child counted twice, once with her mother and stepfather, and again with her maternal grandparents a couple blocks down the road.

Have not tried to trace this one forward or back, so for now it will remain an intriguing speculation.

I did notice on one of the censuses that there was a Waddington who was a close neighbor of my Spences. Could be a total red herring.

There are so many Spences! I agree with you that the William and Ann Spence the butcher/publican are not mine.

That other William baptized 11 May 1831 does look like a possible sibling to my George.

I had not seen this marriage of William Spence and Ann Scaife, so thank you very much for that, Elizabeth. Yes, the Spence family were in Newton upon Ouse.

Janet (Niagara)