View Single Post
Old 26-09-20, 14:59

Libby, I might be in (?). Trying to remember how I got there.

I proceeded as if I had every right to browse the archive. Then it threw up a paywall where I was asked to choose between (1) a by-the-month or longer sub for SF Examiner archives and (2) a similar choice of newspaper.com options for even more newspapers. At that point I think the trick was to scroll all the way down where I found a link for "other options" that I clicked, and then it bid me "sign in" using either my email address or Ancestry. On the next page I tried to "register" with my usual business email address and it said I already had an account and wanted my password. Not knowing where they were pulling this from, I backed up and clicked on the "sign in with Ancestry" button.

Okay, so far so good, and now they say

Quote:
Subscription Info
You're currently a Registered Guest. This free subscription gets you access to search newspapers but you will not be able to view the full page. Get a paid subscription for access.
The account info they took from Ancestry seems to include the email address and my home phone number. They've also tagged me as "MEMBER SINCE 23 August 2017" and who knows where they got that. My public profile with them is just a user name, perhaps because I haven't given Ancestry any other details for display. I think they had taken a user name from my email address because it didn't exactly match my Ancestry user name, but I was able to edit that and change it to match my Ancestry user name.

I found mention of the death of one of yours in November 1916 and was able to email it to myself, still under my Ancestry user name and using the email address they got from Ancestry.

I'm not sure, but I think that once someone has clipped something anyone else can see it too, so you may be able to go in directly. But to be sure I've created screen shots of the clippings and will email them to you.

Let me know if there was something else you wanted that I haven't found yet.

Janet (Niagara)