View Single Post
Old 11-07-10, 21:11

Hi Claire

I too originally got the information online, but did go to Worcester Record Office to verify the facts and took copies of the entries. If you would like to PM me your email address I will send you copies.

The Marriage Allegation is for William Mayo and Mary Chapman married in 1776. They were married by Licence and in order to obtain the licence they were required to swear that there was no lawful impediment to their getting married. They are usually full of helpful bits of information like parishes, occupations, etc. Some MAs have bonds attached to them, saying how much money would have to be paid if the marriage did not go ahead. In their case it was £1,000.

This is a summary of the MA:
"19 Sep 1776 Appeared personally William Mayo of the Parish of Eldersfield in the County and Diocese of Worcester Thatcher and being sworn upon the holy Evangelist alledged and made oath as follows that he is of the age of twenty one years and upwards a batchelor and intends to marry Mary Chapman of the Chapelry of Queenhill in the County and Diosese aforesaid aged twenty one years and upwards spinster... Signed William Mayo. He was accompanied by Michael Hobbs of Longdon, Yeoman."