View Single Post
Old 01-12-21, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
In searching those various Portland and Maine databases, I found the birth of Mabel Morton, daughter of Michael Morton and Minerva Philbrook, 11 Jul 1861 at Troy, Waldo, Maine. The date of the 1860 US census was 1 Jun 1860. No Michael jr on that 1860 census record for Michael and Minerva. I suppose it's possible that Michael J was born after the census and then Mabel the following year, but I think it seems unlikely that he belongs to this family.
Thank you for that kiterunner - interesting, another child born in 1861. I did attempt a search also in those records, but the script on the pages is very faint and difficult to read, so found nothing. But, going by the fact Michael J does not show on the 1860 US Census, it seems more likely he was born in 1861 which fits with the 1911 England census and his death record (although earlier censuses show him born in 1859).

So, if this Mabel Morton was born in July 1861, then as you say, it's doubtful Michael John belongs to this family. What a shame - but, thank you for your efforts and help.