View Single Post
Old 24-02-14, 16:46
Administrator

It says in the Radio Times, "first shown on BBC1 Wales". Apparently it is episode 4 of series 8 and was first shown (on BBC1 Wales) 16 Dec 2013. I'm not sure why they are showing this particular episode on BBC2 as they don't seem to have shown it last Friday. As far as I know, this series is usually only shown on BBC Wales, but I do remember when they showed the John Prescott episode on English TV and it was enough to put me off ever watching it again! The part of it that I remember focussed on John Prescott's great-grandmother (or maybe his 2xg-grandmother) who had some illegitimate children while still living at home with her widowed father, and a local historian of some kind told John Prescott that the children would have been the result of incest with the father, with no evidence whatsoever, or at least none that was presented on the programme, just surmise on the historian's part. I also remember John Prescott saying that the father didn't "give her away on her marriage certificate", (as though that was possible! he just meant the father didn't sign as a witness) and they took that as proof that the father wasn't invited to the wedding because the daughter hated him. And I remember John Prescott crying at the end and saying his great-grandmother was an "amazing woman". Hopefully the John Humphrys episode will be better researched!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update