Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

John Claud Hamilton (Jack)

Date and place of birth

29th April 1895 Cork Ireland. No birth cert

Names of parents

Mr and Mrs Hamilton. No sign of them or John in Ireland 1901 or 1911. John described his father as a "hard-headed Scotchman" (sic) when he visited 'his people' in Cork in 1919 to try and reconcile their differences. He said his parents would not speak to him.

His father was supposed to have been harbourmaster in Dundee before he moved to Ireland and his paternal grandmother was supposed to have been Norwegian!

His mother was supposed to have been Irish and when John was young he was supposed to have lived with his parents (Scots and Irish), his maternal grandmother (Irish) and his two sisters, Eileen/Aileen and Kathleen, one of whom emigrated to Canada in the early 1920s.

None of this info has helped one iota in finding who John Claud Hamilton was!

The above needs serious updating!!

Name - "official" name and what they were known as

Birth name David Hutton. Known as John Hamilton (Jack) after around 1912. Other family members also gave him the middle name Claud(e) but he didn't use that himself.

Date and place of birth

27th (not 29th) April 1895 at The Lying In Hospital, Cork Ireland.

Names of parents

Father unknown . His mother's husband, David Hutton sr, is named on the birth certificate, but David sr was at sea (probably in Japan or that area) at the time David jr was conceived.

David/John's mother was Margaret nee Scannell. David was in her care until the age of four, when he was found to be neglected (and "lodging with common prostitutes") and was sent by the authorities first to St Joseph's Industrial School, Passage West, Cork and in 1904 to Greenmount Industrial School, Cork.

I suppose I should really change the title of this thread to JCH's birth name, but he will always be John Claud Hamilton to us and probably to some of you too!! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010