Thread: Next question
View Single Post
Old 21-04-23, 09:03

Resurrecting this thread again because I am now in contact with a descendant of my great grandfather's half brother, who was therefore half uncle to JAG. She has kindly sent me a photo of JAG's gravestone. Up to this point our stories coincide, up to and including the crocodile!

The photo is of a bog standard gravestone, with the name of the deceased, the date of death etc. There is a quote from the Bible in French, something about the blood of Jesus Christ son of God purifying all sins and another lengthy quote that starts "I want to hear somebody tell me it was you that invited me here." That's in English. At the bottom there is something else in French which I can't decipher, and the name M Courlaux.

I would put money on this being in Tunisia somewhere. Where else could it be, given the history?

However, the story in our branch of the family is that Uncle Joe, JAG's father, actually went to Tunisia after his death and brought his body home. JAG is certainly the first name on the memorial at Welford Road in Leicester which also commemorates his parents, who died in the 1930s and I had always understood that he was buried there.

@Mary from Italy, would you be able to consult your records and tell me who is in the grave with Joseph Goadby (1873-1936) and Clara Goadby (nee Abell) (1868-1956)?

Many thanks

Last edited by Anstey Nomad; 21-04-23 at 11:08.