View Single Post
Old 05-08-23, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
But it was said earlier in the thread that the William who was born in 1807, son of John, was the one who died in 1808. Or are there two Johns having children at the same time?
I am not sure regarding Georges and Williams fathers name. The William born in 1807 who died a year later is not the William that I am looking at as the William that seems to be Georges brother got married 24 years later.

The marriage document states:
Married on 22.10.1832 William Gibbs b.Hungerford, Mary Smith b.Hungerford. Witnesses John Bird,*Mary harris (Georges Wife)*Jane Smith (Mary's sister)

The fact that Mary harris and Jane smith are listed as witnesses pretty much seals the deal for me that this is Georges brother. Along with the fact that he was also born in Hungerford, was a tailor (like George) and also doesn't have baptism record.

In regards to John, I'm not sure. I guess all i have to go with at this point is there was a John Gibbs living close by at the same time to William, potentially down the road, who was also a tailor. However in the 1851 census there were 54 tailors in Hungerford, so they wernt short of them! According to Hungerford virtual museum 'Tanning at one time was a flourishing Berkshire industry, largely due to natural supply of oak trees. At Hungerford the tanning business was of sufficient importance for the Hocktide Court to appoint "searchers and seekers" annually. The "searchers and seekers" were official snoops whose duty it was to see that none but properly 'tanned leather appeared for sale.'

I was in contact with Berkshire record office back in 2020 and they did a search for me, for a fee, which showed no results. From a search it seems that they hold the parish records

Last edited by southukgibbs; 05-08-23 at 21:53.