View Single Post
Old 03-09-16, 04:12

Karen, this is coming back into focus now. I do need to fill in the intervening generation, i.e., Robert Pickles' father David, if I hope to get help from some of the healthy skeptics on this forum. From that David I can then move on to sketch in David's father and mother, John and Mary (the subject of this thread). I have the memorial inscriptions from Kildwick to help with that.

I did look at the Craven Indexes. The Pickles gravestone in Kildwick says Mary wife of John Pickles died 3.11.1822 aged 74 years, making her born about 1748 if she's not lying. So there's probably a good chance you might be right about the 10 July 1770 marriage of Mary Baxter to James Hargreaves. The only other possible marriage I found for a Mary marrying a Hargreaves in the Craven Indexes was from 1759. I'd like to look at it some more when I'm not falling asleep. If she married exceptionally young, or if she was knocking some years off her age in later years, then this Mary Ellison who married Peter Hargreaves could be our ancestor.

DD MM YYYY Groom Surname First Name Residence Occupation Status Bride Surname First Name Residence Status Consent
10 7 1770 HARGREAVES James Cowling Weaver Bach BAXTER Mary Cowling Spin
9 8 1759 HARGREAVES Peter Cowling Weaver Wid ELLISON Mary Cowling minor consent of her father James of Cowling

These and more might be found on Ancestry and/or FindMyPast, but I'm afriad I can't even begin to think about that right now. The cuckoo has just struck midnight. My weekend might turn out to be rather busy but I'll come back to this as soon as I can.

Janet (Niagara)