View Single Post
Old 11-12-09, 19:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Merry, the end of her life sounds quite sad, poor lady.
I have a bad feeling there was very little wrong with her (at least when she went in):

She was admitted for having a fight in the street and had a black eye. Her early life and first marriage were quite different to her life with my great-grandfather and their children were all very 'proper'. I'm afraid my great-uncle (her son) had her committed because she didn't fit in. She had a child with John Gosden who always retained her 'cockney' roots whilst the younger children were distinctly middle class. My gran (her daughter) disowned her mother, always refering to her as her step-mother. My mother grew up knowing this woman was in the asylum, but thought it was her aunt's mother rather than her grandmother. My mum only found the truth years after Sarah Jane died.

My name is Sarah Jane too, which is just a fluke as no one knew she wasn't originally just Jane. My gran would spin in her grave if she knew!

I have cousins in the states who have a photo of Sarah Jane, but they will not let me have a copy of the picture, for reasons unknown. It might be because their mother at least acknowledged Sarah as her mum, whereas my gran disowned her mother - I don't know. All very sad.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010