View Single Post
Old 19-07-19, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I agree with the surprise at which some people remarry so quickly.

My most married person on my tree had five brides, but doesn't fit the mould for speedy remarriages:

First wedding, he was 26, she was 20. Marriage lasted 10 months. Wife died two days after delivering her first child. Husband remained a widower for about 4 years.

Second wedding, he was 32, she was 27. Marriage lasted 10 months. Wife was buried four days after delivering her first child. Husband remained a widower for nearly five years.

Third wedding, he was 37, she was 27. Marriage lasted six years. Wife died about a week after the birth of her fourth child. Husband remained a widower for about 13 years.

Fourth wedding, he was 57, she was 27. Marriage lasted 8 months. Wife died 2 or 3 days after her first child was born. The child also died (all the children from the previous marriage lived to adulthood). Husband remained a widower for about four years.

Fifth wedding, he was 62, she was 27 (yes, another one aged 27!). Marriage lasted 15 years, but no children. She outlived him, remaining a widow for six months.

This last bride's second husband was also older, being 27 years her senior (he had been a widower for about four years when they married). She died 18 months after this second marriage, but I don't know the cause (no children). Her second husband then remarried just six months later to a woman over 40 years his junior. They had one son, and after another ten+ years of marriage he died, his young wife outliving him, but only by about ten years.
Merry, I'd thought my 2xg/grandfather was unlucky but your story tops his.

Married for five years, wife dies after giving birth to third child, who also fails

to survive.

After respectable period - nine years - marries again. Wife dies seven years

later in third pregnancy.

Now a single father of four, he waits another ten years before marrying again

only to die just six weeks later.

Isn't that the saddest thing? Oh, and no sniggering please - cause of death,

erysipelas.