Thread: archiveteam.org
View Single Post
Old 06-02-20, 09:28

Default archiveteam.org

A cautionary tale, which one of my Cornwall OPC colleagues has given me permission to share with you:

"My Somerset based groups on Yahoo are currently having a huge problem with a group of Archivers - Archiveteam.org - who are attempting to join each of the groups to archive the files and photographs. All of these groups were Private and Restricted. Files and photographs were donated in good faith.

Whilst I don't object to files and information being made freely available to researchers (I wouldn't be a long time member of this Project if I did!) I DO object to my work being harvested by some unknown random group who then SELL it to people to search. (Bit like Ancestry really, but don't start me off about that one)

I had a dispute recently with a researcher who had downloaded one of my Somerset files, edited it with his idiotic transcriptions then re-uploaded it. Those idiotic transcriptions are now being distributed with my name on them.

Just a word of warning really about how, and to where, we distribute our files and information."