View Single Post
Old 10-07-22, 05:07

I have had some success, with trying to work out some these people.

As Kiterunner said, you could try and find them on Facebook - look at their friends, see if you can find a parent or sibling. Also just google their name - it might come up in LinkedIn or Australian Business Registrations. Google will also pick up any public reports/newspaperarticles/find a grave etc since about 2005.

If you think they might have been over 18 in 1980 (which makes them, like me, over 60 now) you might be able to find them in the Australian Electoral Rolls on Ancestry (at home with their parents is always a bonus). Look in Trove for a birth notice and other family events (some of the smaller papers go past 1950s).

These things don't always work - I have two men called Paul who show high levels of shared DNA with my Dad, and one has a really unusual name, and I know what his job is and where his family come from (meaning I think I know which tree branch), but I cannot for the life of me get any further.

You should be able to tell which side of the family by looking at the shared matches (tab next to Trees and Locations) - if you can find just one name you recognise you can say Maternal or Paternal.

Di