View Single Post
Old 14-04-19, 08:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Edit - and I haven't got a sub to check this, but does anyone know whether it has the MMN for illegitimate births (pre-1911) or are they blank like on the GRO site?
I picked an illegitimate birth from my tree where I have the cert, so I could be sure of the illegitimacy and not a mistake by the GRO! Here's the GRO entry:

RENYARD, FREDERICK GEORGE
-
GRO Reference: 1856 M Quarter in NEW FOREST Volume 02B Page 543

and here's FMP's entry:

First name(s) FREDERICK GEORGE
Last name RENYARD
Birth year 1856
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's maiden name -

So, no mmn on FMP either, but I needed to check that they had done this year and Q etc as I looked at a couple of legitimate births where I know the GRO has made a transcription error in the mmn, to see if FMP had the same error, but in those cases the mmn was not yet showing on FMP (they were earlier than 1856 though).

Typically, there was no legitimate birth for a Renyard in Q1 of 1856 to check FMP have that Q covered, but I did check this birth from a similar part of the alphabet:

REYNARD, MARGARET
BARBER
GRO Reference: 1856 M Quarter in PATELEY BRIDGE Volume 09A Page 60

First name(s) MARGARET
Last name REYNARD
Birth year 1856
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's maiden name Barber
District Pateley Bridge

...so it looks as if FMP do have 1856 covered! (the births I looked at that were not showing mmn for legitimate births on FMP were from 1838 and 1843)

I had completely forgotten about FMP adding the mmn, but do they record coverage anywhere?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010