View Single Post
Old 16-01-19, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
I was directed to a Facebook page "Genetic Genealogy Tips & Techniques" It's a closed group but is easy to join.

It's used by a lot of professional genealogists but they seem to enjoy helping beginners like us. Personally I found it all a bit confusing - there's a lot of talk about cMs etc but there are some great tools in the files page to help sort your matches.

I'm trying to get my head round one called the Leeds Color Clustering method https://www.danaleeds.com/leeds-method-dna/ A lot of people on the FB page have had great results with it.
I tried out the Leeds method and found it very useful.

If you use an Excel spreadsheet, you can hide the columns and rows as you work, so I just put in all of Dad's DNA matches, although it is recommended to do only those less than 400cms.

Most of the 4th-6th cousin matches, as well as Dad, matched at least one other of his matches so I was able to locate them in a family. Some of the others, I worked out by looking at their online trees.

My daughters colour chart is much more even than Dads, his is overly populated on the paternal line, but hers is spread more evenly between her four grandparents families. Dad has only one match, a person we already know, on his mothers paternal line - not one other person in all the Ancestry world has a match with both of them.

If anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like, I am happy to post a copy.

Di