View Single Post
Old 06-11-19, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
It's not DNA being used to solve crime that bothers me about GEDMatch either, but the fact that anyone who knows the email address of a member, or their ID number or kit number, can access their DNA results, and it is easy to imagine bots being used to trawl the site gathering data by trying different kit numbers.
I've read something else recently where some researchers released a paper showing how easy it was to upload falsified DNA to a website to gain information ie they want to find out who has a certain gene mutation so they can modify and upload and then all matches they get have that mutation, or disease etc.

They only accessed publicly available DNA and I can't remember where that was but it would be easily for others to upload to GEDmatch or other sites to gain what they wanted to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I agree, Kite, and I'm sure if that's the case they're already trying it out.

Today's NY Times has some more of the details.
Your DNA Profile is Private? A Florida Judge Just Said Otherwise

Thanks for posting, Toni. Did you mean the detective is now looking to access other databases?
Sorry, typo. Yes the detective is now looking to access other databases.

Phoenix DNA testing from birth is terrifying from the insurance point of view. I can see them denying coverage for people because they have a particular gene.

I've had genetic testing for medical purposes years ago so my dna is out there somewhere. I don't even know what lab was used.

I guess my issue with crime enforcement taking DNA samples is that they are accessing things without the person's permission. It isn't like they could go and DNA test a million random people to catch a criminal so why should they be able to access the genealogical databases. I also think that if they do get access it should be limited to first, maybe second cousins, and closer.