View Single Post
Old 27-12-10, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Are you thinking that Elizabeth, wife of Walter is really Isabella?
That was only a passing thought; I also wondered if she might be his wife Elizabeth's sister, so I tried all sorts of permutations just in case. However, as the marriage cert calls her née Chalmers, and Alexander's said to be Walter's nephew in 1851, I thought Isabella was most likely to be Walter's sister. Might be worth looking for Walter's birth on SP. He came from Keith, Banff (like William Milne) according to all but one census if I remember rightly.

I did see an Alexander Bonnyman with the Milne family in 1841, and wondered if he might be yours. However, his birthplace is given as Banff in 1841 and 1851, whereas the Alex living with the Chalmers family in 1851 and 1861 was born in Aberdeen. There's an Isabel Bonnyman, also 10, in the same household wth the Milnes in 1841, and they're both servants (FS = farm servant, I assume). James Milnes jr, presumaby the son of James sr., is also shown as an FS, so I wondered if the Bonnyman children were actually grandchildren of the Milnes (the Scottish 1841, like the English one, doesn't seem to show relationships).

Who was the reputed father? John Bonnyman?

Where is Alex in 1871? If he's the one married to Christina, his occupation (hemp dresser) matches the Alex with the Chalmers family in 1851 and 1861. There's another Alex Bonnyman born in Bellie (partly in Banffshire and partly in Elginshire, apparently), with a wife Anna, who might be the one who was living in Bellie with the Milne family in 1841, but he's 8 years older.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-12-10 at 18:37.