View Single Post
Old 30-04-20, 12:44

I can't be absolutely sure William the butcher is your man...but what I have found so far seems pretty convincing to me. Victoria Death Index has:
William Sayle;b. abt 1829;age: 31;Father:William; Mother: Ann Cleator;Reg yr:1860;Reg Place: Victoria; Reg No:10167

The newspaper states: On the 29th ult., at his home, Blackwood street, North Melbourne, of phthisis pulmonatis, Mr William Sayle, aged 32 years.
The electoral rolls show William Sayle, Blackwood street as a butcher, which is confirmed by the will. The will also makes mention of his brother John Sayle.

The Australian birth index does show a child born to John and Emma Jane in 1859, but it is not named - I thought it was likely a still birth, or early death. As best as I can understand the index, John's children, confirmed by his will:
1. Unnamed 1859 Hawthorn Victoria (MMN Cooper)

2. Edith Anne 1861, Victoria (MMN Cooper)

3. Thomas M(aunsell) 1864 Moama NSW (no MMN)

4. Percy Howard b abt 1863 Victoria (MMN Callingham)
d 1864 Moama NSW
5. Reginald Athol 1866 Moama NSW (no MMN)

6. Mabel Laidlaw 1867 Victoria (MMN Callingham)

7. John Lee 1869 Lilydale (MMN Callingham)

8. Gilbert Cooper , 1873 Lilydale (MMN Callingham)

I don't understand why Emma Jane is sometimes a Callingham and sometimes a Cooper. A nice little problem for you to solve.
John Sayle's employment as a stock agent for a large scale grazier in Victoria may account for his family's movement between NSW and Victoria, as shown by the birth places of his children.

The screen shots I took of William the butcher's will are pretty fuzzy. I'll try to get a better image before I send them off.

I've enjoyed snooping around your family too. Life in lockdown is pretty boring!