View Single Post
Old 27-04-20, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
This will was written in 1492, so probated 100 years later. I haven't got past line 2 yet so he may have lived to a ripe old age but it is a long time.

The visitations are not reliable as far as anyone Drake is concerned. Sir Francis' will was contested many years after his death and relationships were falsified by what many now consider to be a leading Drake expert. I also suspect there was falsification back during the time of Sir Francis. He wanted to be part of the rich Drake family in Devon, he wasn't, and later when he was famous and wealthy in his own right, I think they wanted a connection themselves.

OH is related to the rich family although I am yet to prove it myself and the money hasn't been passed down to him lol
Er one thousand FYVE hundred fower score and twelve. and the 34th year of Queen Elizabeth's reign.

Perhaps one day the College of Arms will put the original, signed visitations online. Then we might be able to compare them with the printed versions. Vivian is pretty good, because he does source the additions, but his book is not online.

The problems I find is that men often marry several times, often to women with the same name. Somewhere I have a copy of putative pedigrees for Walter Raleigh. At least five lined up on the page for comparison