Thread: Help needed
View Single Post
Old 31-10-20, 09:47
Administrator

I agree about sister-in-law etc - All the "in-law" relationships covered more possibilities than today. Conversly, sister could also mean sister-in-law etc etc. And of course people also sometimes deliberately lied!

As for Valentine's day - we only know she had chosen this date by 1939 (or, of course, it might be the correct date!).

I know my rather flirtatious grandmother (b 1892) knew all about Valentine's day when she was young! I just googled Valentine's Day Cards history:

Quote:
The first Valentine’s cards

The first Valentine’s cards were sent in the 18th century. Initially these were handmade efforts, as pre-made cards were not yet available. Lovers would decorate paper with romantic symbols including flowers and love knots, often including puzzles and lines of poetry. Those who were less inspired could buy volumes that offered guidance on selecting the appropriate words and images to woo their lover. These cards were then slipped secretly under a door, or tied to a door-knocker.

It was in Georgian Britain that pre-printed cards first began to appear, though these were not yet as popular as they were eventually to become. Perhaps the oldest surviving example dates from 1797: this card, held at York Castle Museum, was sent by one Catherine Mossday to a Mr Brown of London. It is decorated with flowers and images of Cupid, with a verse printed around the border.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010