View Single Post
Old 27-09-17, 09:46

Default Hollingworth family from the Old Hall in Mottram

Hi Elizabeth, I am a member of the Hollingworth family of Mottram and have the entire history for the families you are speaking of. As you have deduced, John Hollinworth of the Old Manor House at Tintwistle manor and of Shepely, is a descendant of the Hollinworths from the Old Hall in Mottram.

Our family is highly complicated and it is very easy to confuse the various members from the different ancient scions. For the time period you are looking at, we have branches living at Glossop, Matley, Mottram, Roe Cross, Padfield and of course Hollingworth. Most of these families attended St Michael and All Angels Church at Mottram, just to add further to the confusion!

We are all descendants of Robert of Holynworth c.1180 the first known lord of Hollingworth manor, when it was subinfeuded by the Earl of Chester during the border skirmishes with the Peverils of Derbyshire. We have three branches of the family still living today, who can trace their particular branch back to Robert.

The branch you are looking at descends from a junior house of this family through what is called the 'Old Mottram line'. They typically spell the surname without the 'g' i.e.. Holynworth - Hollinworth. The parent branch comes from Hollingworth Hall, which is my line. Our spelling comes from Hollyngworthe - Hollingworth. These are very subtle differences practiced by the two families both living at Mottram in Longdendale. Outside of Cheshire, the spelling can be anything from Hollingworth, Hollingworth or Hollingsworth.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know.