View Single Post
Old 01-01-17, 09:47

Default John Hollinworth of Tintwistle

Thanks to the following I have started to sort out this family and separate the children from those of OH's line:

Reference: E 134/3Geo1/Mich25
Description: Jonathan Ridge the younger and his wife Marah. v. Alice Hudson, widow, Samuel Reddish, Richd. Hurt, clerk, and his wife Deborah, Robt. Grantham (an infant), John Wagstaff the younger, John Ingham and his wife Mary, Hannah Wheatley, widow. Alice Nicholson, widow.: Last will and testament and the value and disposition of the real and personal estate of John Hollingworth, of Tintwisle (Hereford), gent., said estate including messuages, &c., in Tintwisle, Hollingworth, Mottram-in-Longdendale, and Godley (Chester), Sunderland, in the parish of Ashton-under-Line (Lancaster), Pogmore, Marblack, Bearnsley, and Shepley (York), &c., &c. [The names and possessions of Robt. Hollingworth (testator's son), Grace Hollingworth (testator's daughter, mother of plaintiff Marah,) Higham Hollingworth, Alice Hollingworth (testator's daughter, who married Ralph Nicholson, gent.), are mentioned.]: Chester; Lancaster.
Date: 3 Geo 1
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

This John Hollinworth married Alice Hyde or Hide by Licence on 8th May 1674.
She came from Denton.

John's will (29 July 1689) mentions his son Robert and daughters Alice, Grace, Anne and Deborah. There was also a daughter Elizabeth.

Elizabeth married John Wagstaffe. One document makes it look like 1680 but it seems rather early. It seems John came from Glossop, Derbyshire. Edit: in fact, she married at Glossop in 1678.

Alice bapt. 13 Feb 1674 at Mottram. She married Ralph Nicholson of Stockport on 4 Apr 1694. I have found 7 children for them

Grace had an illegitimate daughter, Mary or Marah, bapt. 8 Jun 1696 at Mottram. She married Jonathan Ridge.

Anne bapt. 24 Apr 1677 at Mottram. I haven't discovered if she died or married yet.

Deborah bapt. 30 Oct 1679 at Mottram. She married Richard Hurt, clerk.

After John Hollinworth died, his widow Alice married Thomas Hudson on 2 Feb 1698/99. Thomas was from Macclesfield. She was widowed and at the end of her life she was living at Stockport (where her daughter Alice Nicolson lived). I am transcribing her will of 1715. She mentions just two of her children, Alice Nicolson and Deborah Hurt. She also mentions a cousin Samuel Reddish.

Alice's family is interesting. Her brother was Robert Hyde of Denton and her nephew Robert Hyde of Hyde Bank, Cheshire.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 01-01-17 at 15:54. Reason: new information