View Single Post
Old 07-02-13, 17:23

Default Walter Berry - maternal grandfather

Probably the 1900s. My grandfather Walter Berry is 3rd from right in the back row with the big ears. Don't laugh, they afforded him perfect pitch which I think he might have inherited through his mother's Pickles line from Cowling. Walter's full name was Walter Pickles Berry.

These are the men of the Ingram Organ shop in Edinburgh. Walter had completed a seven-year apprenticeship with the Laycock & Bannister organbuilding firm in the Glusburn / Crosshills / Sutton-in-Craven area of West Yorkshire where he was born.

In 1900 he married, and in 1905 moved his wife and two daughters to 5 Shandon Place, Edinburgh where a third daughter was born. The family archives are full of postcards from Walter working abroad in those days, many of them from Holland. In 1912 they left Edinburgh to settle in the United States.

The back of the photo is imprinted with "J. Anderson, 121, High Street, Dunbar" so perhaps a day's outing at the sea? A completely irrelevant aside: just across the street from the photographer's shop is the birthplace of John Muir who emigrated to the U.S. and became a renowned naturalist.

Janet (Niagara)