View Single Post
Old 11-01-21, 11:12

Default The Drakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
He doesn't have many as I haven't traced them very much. I'll put it on the agenda though.

Louisa Purkis married William Henry Drake. William was in the commissary and they were in Perth Aus and Tasmania but they left some of their children here. Some of Louisa's family also ended up in Perth and some made it to NSW.

Her parents were James and Elizabeth Sarah nee Viner and his parents John and Jemima nee Nixon.

Two of Louisa's sisters married prominent men in WA. Louisa died in South Africa and her children/grandchildren in Australia were basically left to fend for themselves. I've seen a letter where William refused to help his orphaned 16 yo granddaughter who was left with the care of her siblings from 1yo and up. She asked for 5 pounds. Her parents and maternal grandparents all died within months of each other.
Hi Toni

It's been a while since we've had contact but I came across this post and wondered if you still held the view that William Henry Drake and his daughter, Charlotte, didn't help the orphans of John and Matilda Drake after the untimely deaths of their parents. I have a lot of new information, which I would love to send you, but I don't have your current email address.

All the best
Megan