View Single Post
Old 03-12-19, 08:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
I thought skelmersdale but maybe he was from Chorley
The 1881 census says Chorley, so both censuses say the same!

I agree it is so sad to see how many children some families lost. Alfred and Ellen had more children after 1891 and not all those survived either. (they had three more, but only two of those are on the 1901 census.)

Alfred died in 1903 and Ellen remarried to William Blackledge in 1906. No children from that marriage (1911 census). On the 1911 census after William and Ellen recorded the people in their household, there is a line which reads:

First married (and then in the children's births section) 11, 7, 4

It then looks like a second person was going to write something similar as they wrote "2 ditto" under the "First married" but no numbers for children.

I think maybe 11,7,4 relate to Ellen's first family as up to 1891 you have five living children and three dec'd children. If 1891 to 1901 brings two more living children and one more dec'd child, then the numbers tie up. Looking back very briefly at William Blackledge - he didn't have a large family before marrying Ellen.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010