View Single Post
Old 31-10-18, 18:49

Post 1 above poses the question of whether both parents had to attend a baptism. I had never thought of that but when I was searching for a baptism recently came across one for the relevant child in 1906 at a small Suffolk church near Bury St Edmunds. At first sight all seemed normal with both parents correctly named and father's profession shown as Engineer's Clerk but their abode was shown as Birmingham and the day of the baptism was a Wednesday, which caused doubt to arise that neither of them had been present. When I realised that the child's birth was recorded incorrectly, three days adrift, with no known affiliation with Suffolk by the parents I was sceptical. When I noticed the first baptism on the page was of a boy born to a single woman whose abode was recorded as Bishops Stortford that also seemed odd but a small bracketed comment made below the boy's details revealed him to be 'an orphan born at Bishops Stortford Workhouse', which was at least proof absolute that his mother could not have been present.

merleyone

Last edited by merleyone; 31-10-18 at 19:06. Reason: finger trouble caused an apparent posting too soon .