View Single Post
Old 14-02-21, 12:44
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
If you were born in Ireland (Cork) and emigrated to the UK after 1920 would you have needed a passport?

If yes, I presume you would have needed a birth cert to obtain a passport?

And if you were not registered, might you have got away with using the birth cert of someone else with the same name?

I also may have one baby morphing into two people, one in the UK and one in the US! It sounds like an Ancestry tree, but these are real people!!

Time for a lie down?
I believe Irish people would not need a passport to enter Britain in 1920 between 1922 and 1937 it got a bit more complicated because of the founding of the Irish Free State but only from the Irish Free State's point of view I believe the British Government still maintained that anyone born in Ireland was still British. Might be tricky going back lots of animosity.

It wasn't until 1935 that Irish Citizenship and Nationality was created and as late as 1942 there was still some consternation on Irish people born in Ireland before 1935 and living in Britain were actually Irish or British Nationality.

There was a court case involving a man who was conscripted into the British Army in 1942, he lived in Britain but was born in Ireland under British rule.

But correct me if I have that wrong or any dates I haven't checked it was an Irish teacher at school in 1970 telling me about it because the troops had gone into NI in 1969 some things stick in my mind some don't.

Even more frustrating is there are no passenger lists for people travelling from Ireland to mainland Britain.

Of course we now have the CTA and they really only use passports for identification.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 14-02-21 at 12:49.