Thread: Thrulines
View Single Post
Old 23-12-20, 20:07
Administrator

Ignoring all the entries which say common ancestor with my Dad, I have none coming up with my grandparents, although I do have a DNA match with a 1st cousin - they have not built much of a tree, so they aren't getting ThruLines. I have one "common ancestor match" showing with a great-grandparent, then half a dozen with 2xg-grandparents, then quite a few with 3xg-grandparents. When I get to 4xg's, there are some "potential ancestors" added in the gaps.

If you have a DNA match who has no tree, or a tiny one, or a private unsearchable one, the software will not come up with common ancestors. Also if the relevant branch of your tree or theirs has an ancestor who wasn't your / their actual biological ancestor.

So for instance, when I had Walter Horner Brown in my tree as 2xg-grandfather I didn't get hits on Thrulines, but when I realised that my g-grandmother's bio father was actually Edward Hunter Atkins and I put him in, I got DNA matches showing against him on ThruLines, and I think it showed "potential ancestors" further back on his line, though I can't check that now because I have added them to my tree by now.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update