View Single Post
Old 27-04-11, 18:46

Default More questions than answers

This is my ex's side of the family - the wife of Dennis/James McCarthy/Carter.

Her name was Elizabeth Alice Goodwin and although I didn't have her baptism, her marriage cert says her father was John Goodwin, a waiter.
I was a bit puzzled by this as in 1881 her widowed brother Charles is staying with Elizabeth and her family and tracing Charles back through the censuses I found him with John Goodwin, a carpenter.

John's wife was Frances and I found some baptism of children 1814-1822 at St. Giles in the Fields, as well as finding John and Frances in the censuses, with him born Hull and her in Peasenhall, Suffolk.

BUT yesterday I finally found Elizabeth's baptism at St. Giles in the Fields on the microfilm at the LMA. Unfortunately the image is quite faint, so I can only say she was baptised between 6-8 Jun 1831, but her birthdate of 18 Sep 1829 is clear - however, two points of concern are that her mother is given as Elizabeth and her father's occupation as wine porter!

So I'm wondering if John & Frances are the wrong folk - in which case I should be able to find an alternative Charles Goodwin b. 1826 but I can't!

I haven't got Charles' baptism yet as I ran out of time, and that might make things clearer.

In the meantime, has anyone got any ideas? Wine porter/waiter/joiner/master carpenter - is this a logical career progression? Could Elizabeth Alice's mother be recorded as Elizabeth in error?
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire