View Single Post
Old 30-03-16, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Charles Doe's death is probably the one Jul-Sep 1924 Kingston, age 85.
Yeah, I already edited that in.

Trying to find him in 1841 & 61. I think I've found him in 91, but his place of birth is given as St. Pancras... could be because he's just a boarder, but of course it could also be the wrong Charles Doe. (There is another Charlie Doe in St. Pancras in 1911).

Edwin Henry Hooker is a total mystery, though. We have a record of birth, but no sign of him after that - not even under a different surname.

My first thought is that he may have been the child of Henry and Matilda - she was his housekeeper for many years and is living with him, and two of her children, in 1891 whilst Charles is boarding. She's still living with him in 1901. Also, in 1901 and 1911 Charles is still down as married, but is obviously not living with his wife, and in 1911 he hasn't put how many years he's been married. This could be due to his age, or because he's been separated for so many years he doesn't really consider it a marriage.

Just a hunch, of course. I could well be wrong.

Although that does make me wonder what happened to Edwin. Did he die unregistered? Was he taken in as a foundling and given a new identity? Did he go into a workhouse, or go abroad?

Last edited by James18; 30-03-16 at 15:24. Reason: typo