View Single Post
Old 01-11-19, 20:16
Administrator

lol Kate! That is the can of worms you have opened!! I was trying not to mention it as it could lead to the longest post ever!!

You are right that Arthur Bell Chatterley and his wife are not the parents of the Ivy who is with the Lowe family in 1911. This Ivy (Ivy Ellen) is the daughter of Samuel Frederick Chatterley who is the brother of Arthur Bell Chatterley. Samuel's common law wife was Kate Young. They had four children together 1904-1912 and after that there is a nightmare of complicated relationships I'm trying to work out!

As Kate Young (Samuel's 'wife') and May Edith (Arthur's wife) don't seem to be closely related, I was hoping Rose might be Kate's sister.

In 1911 Kate Young (calling herself Chatterley) is in the workhouse with two of her three children, Frederick (b 1904) and Henry Vincent (b 1910) and her middle child, Ivy, is with the Lowe's. Samuel is nowhere to be seen. It would be very useful indeed if I could find him.

Samuel's details are (in case you would rather look for him in 1911):

Samuel Frederick Chatterley birth reg Q1 1874 Daventry (b Weedon Northants)

1881 with parents
1891 not found
1901 Army barracks (in Hampshire? I forget), says born Birmingham, but I'm sure it's him - Birmingham is where he was brought up. His army record is on FMP which shows he signed up in 1893 and was discharged in 1905)
1911 no sign. I have checked the addresses given on his children's baptisms in 1904, 06 and 1910. Nothing to help.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010