Thread: Mary Pearce
View Single Post
Old 10-06-12, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenoco View Post
Thanks for that Asa. I have some Aldermaston baptisms but not the one at Wasing and neither of the deaths (although I have found a death registration for Joseph, I don't have the certificate). Mary's baptism looks very promising too. Some more things to check when I get to the Berkshire RO
Hello Jenoco,
Not sure if we have been in touch ages ago re: Sellwoods and Cox's. The Sellwoods are my paternal family. I too have the burials of Joseph and wife Mary from the Berks FHS burial Index cd.

I am pretty sure that the 1772 christening for Mary Pearce is the right one. It certainly fits the burial age in 1837. John and Hannah Pearce would appear to have had another child bap in Wickham, and maybe two much later ones in the 1780's in Winterbourne. (IGI)
The latter may not be the same John and Hannah because there is a Hannah buried at Welford (no age given) in 1776. Also an 82 yr old John Pearce in 1832. None of these places is far distant from Chieveley.

In 1795 Joseph Sellwood applied for help from the Newbury Overseers when living at Wasing as he was ill but I don't have any followup to say what he received, if anything. In 1841 Joseph is living with/next door to, his son, James, at Aldermaston.
Vicwinann