View Single Post
Old 15-09-19, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I can't remember much about PHH. Why are you sure he was born 1885? I think I'd ask the workhouse to search from 1880.

As for the Italian descent there must be something as your daughters have that 2%. My husband, however, is often asked if he is Greek or similar and there is not one drop on non UK blood in him. He just tans well. So PHH may be unaware of the relationship, or it was quite distant. Or another thought, there may be illegitimacy with an Italian the culprit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
PS: I, too, was hoping for a break through.

PPS: Is it possible he was related to his wife? This would make the DNA harder to work out.

1885 has been consistent as a year of birth. That’s one thing he was consistent about. Marriage cert, death cert, army record,1911 census, 1939 register all give a year of birth of 1885. Even if he had been born earlier there would have been some mention of him in the workhouse records, discharge for example.

Rotherham record office only hold workhouse birth records from 1848 to 1879 then 1912 to 1938. What they did search was the religious creed register. That gives name, when admitted and discharge as well as religious creed.

Relationship to his wife? No, highly unlikely. She was Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire born and bred. I have all sides of her family well researched.

Peter was discharged from the army in Ponterfract, Yorkshire and was walking to London to start a new life and he got to Ashby he met Lily and stayed there.