View Single Post
Old 06-03-19, 09:00

Default Revising your tree

I'm slowly putting a tree online at ancestry, building it from scratch, not uploading a GEDCOM as it's just the main lines not all Tom, Dick and Harry's in my tree.

I know my line quite well so I'm finding it very easy using the green hints to add already known details. What I am particularly enjoying though is finding new records that have been added since I last looked at some people which is adding more details to the person or family involved.

Ancestry also looks at other online trees and offers suggestions based on them. I'm quite good at hitting ignore but I did break down a brick wall by 2 generations by checking a tree that I thought was total fantasy only to discover they had relevant information. I'm not sure the rest of their tree is any good but that one piece of information was very useful to me.

I also added my 2g grandfathers marriage parish register entry and realised his missing brother was a witness. I can't locate him anywhere else but another tree has a marriage for him which I'm still trying to prove or disprove but at least now I know he didn't die in infancy as I had long suspected.

Anyway the moral to my long winded story is to go back over your tree as you may have missed something or there may be more information available now.

(You may also want a glass of wine handy to help you cope with some of the green leaf hints and others trees)