Thread: John Horner
View Single Post
Old 14-12-13, 17:26
Administrator

Hmm, this is weird. A while ago I found what I thought was John's second marriage transcribed on FamilySearch - John Horner married Elizabeth Day 17 Dec 1789 at Waltham Holy Cross, Essex. Unfortunately something funny had happened with FamilySearch's indexing of the Essex parish registers whereby a lot of the grooms were shown with marital status of "married", so I had to wait until SEAX launched their online parish register images to find out that the John Horner on that marriage was a bachelor, of this parish, and that the marriage was by banns, and therefore I could rule this marriage out.

(John's first wife Charlotte was buried 2 Aug 1789 and his first child by Elizabeth was baptised 3 Oct 1790, so there is a pretty small window for the marriage to Elizabeth, and the date of this would have fitted pretty well.)

But, now I have my John's signature from his son's wedding and does anyone else think it looks very similar to the signature from the Waltham Holy Cross wedding, or am I clutching at straws here? (I don't have his signature from his first marriage yet because I am still waiting for SEAX to put the Leyton PR's online, think they said before the end of this year.) FamilySearch doesn't seem to have any baptisms at Waltham Holy Cross for the children of this couple, but I will have a look through the SEAX images to see if I can find any in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john horner witness sig.jpg (5.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg john horner groom sig.jpg (5.4 KB, 6 views)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update