View Single Post
Old 03-02-14, 14:21
Administrator

Default Many clues but no solution!

I've managed to find the PCC wills of the parents of Mary Wood, wife of Samuel Buttall: Anthony Wood, sugar baker of Bristol, will proved in 1686, and his wife Joane, will proved in 1713/4.

Anthony's will mentions wife Joane, children Samuel, Joseph, Sarah, Elizabeth and Mary, nephew Robert Wood, plus friends Mr Thomas Edwards of Bristoll gent and Mr Richard Cotherington.

Joane's will mentions lots of people and I would have thought I could figure out her maiden name from it, but still struggling! Any help gratefully received! Some of the sisters, cousins, etc may be relatives of Anthony rather than of Joane.

It seems that they were early Baptists, and apparently there are not many Baptist records from those days.

Niece Sarah Buttall and her children Jonathan and Anne [probably the wife of Samuel Buttall's brother Jonathan who died in 1695 in Battersea as his will mentions his wife Sarah, children Jonathan, Ann and Samuel, and aunt Mrs Ann Smith, among others]
My couzen Mary Townsend
Mrs Elizabeth Sanger [or Langer?]
Mrs Creeze, Mrs Young, Mrs Weekes, Mrs Thomas and Mrs Hardcastle Ministers' Widows
Mr Pope and Mr Gough Ministers
Mr Dyaper(?) Minister
My sister Mrs Anne Smyth
My couzen Mrs Anne Hooke
Mr Noble
Mr Fownes
Mr Gifford
Mrs Gifford
Mr Chandler of Bath
Mr Standon
Mr Seale of Marsfeild
Mr Tyler
Mr Harris
Cozen England
Mr Minell(?) of Taunton
Mrs Nitzell(?)
Mr Cattgott
Mr Job
Mr Slackmore(?)
My Cozen Swettman and children
Cozen Hannah Burgis
Mrs Anthony
Mr Dew
Cozen Jone and her blind daughter
Cozen Thomas Hind
Cozen Robert Wood
Mary Sanger
Jane Coller
Margrett Lewis
Margery
Cozen Bickley
Mrs Standen
Sister Newport
Sarah Barnes
Cozen Andres
Cozen Cooper
Cozen Kingcott and two daughters
Cozen Temple
Cozen Swift
Mrs Bartlett

Also children and grandchildren as follows, but I mostly have them sorted out already, it's the sisters, cousins etc above who I am hoping will lead us to Joan's parentage.
son in law Allen Smyth and Mary his [second] wife [nee Hook, married 1682] and their children Francis, Joshua and Anne [Allen's first wife was Joane's daughter Ann Wood and they married in 1674]
grandson John Smyth [son of Allen and Ann, baptised 1674] and Frances his wife and their eldest son John Smyth
grandson Charles Goodman and his son Charles Goodman [perhaps Susanna Smith, daughter of Allen and Ann, baptised 1677, married Charles Goodman?]
grandson Allen Smyth
son in law Mr Samuel Buttall and my daughter Mary Buttall
grandson Nathaniel Hodges and Mary his wife [nee Buttall, daughter of Samuel and Mary above]
grandson Thomas Wiggington and Sarah his wife [nee Buttall, daughter of Samuel and Mary]
grandson Humphrey Buttall [son of Samuel and Mary]
grandchildren Benjamin, John, Charles and Elizabeth Buttall [children of Samuel and Mary]
Son in law Morgan Smyth and Elizabeth his wife [Joane's daughter Elizabeth Wood who married Morgan Smith in 1691]
Grandson William Barnes and his wife Mary [William Barnes is son of Joane's daughter Sarah Wood who married William Barnes in 1688]
Grandson Anthony Smyth [a son of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Granddaughter Anne Smyth [a daughter of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Granddaughter Elizabeth Smyth [a daughter of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Granddaughter Sarah Smyth [a daughter of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Granddaughter Mary Smyth [a daughter of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Grandson Morgan Smyth [a son of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Susan and Margaret Smyth [two more of Morgan and Elizabeth's daughters]

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 05-02-14 at 14:26. Reason: add id of William Barnes and his wife Mary