View Single Post
Old 12-01-20, 05:48

Going to put this up here in case it becomes of interest. The time frame more or less fits if Henry Naylor was born in 1820, and if these people did in fact emigrate around this time. (The Isle La Motte history book in post #32 says he was born in 1820 and came over when he was five.)

Canada, Immigration and Settlement Correspondence and Lists, 1817-1896 for Joshua Naylor
1817-1851 (Volume 014) North America Offices; Settlers, 1826
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive...1_307307-00207

To the Right Honourable Earl Bathurst Secr[etary] of State for Colonial Affairs. The Humble Petition of the undersigned Workmen of the Township of Rastrick in the Parish of Halifax and County of York

Sheweth

That your Petitioners have been in more Prosperous times Engaged in the Fancy Cloth T[rade] which has for Several months past been nearly annihilated. The Consequence is that your Petitione[rs] are Reduced to the most Extreme Wretchedness ever known to the oldest Man living and not having the most distant hopes of ever again being able to Earn their Bread in their usual line of Business. Your Petitioners therefore humb[ly] Conceive that his Majesty’s Colonies in North America would open a larger Field for the Beneficie[nt] Employment of their Industry. Provided they had facilities afforded them of arriving on the Spot your Petitioners therefore Earnestly and most humbly Pray that your Lordship will be Pleased to Grant your humble Petitioners Land in some his Majesty’s Colonies of North America Proportioned to their means of Industry and also Provide your Petitione[rs] means of Conveyance to the Place—and your Petitioners [???] in duty Bound will ever Pray———

[There follows a list of 31 signers, by my count, including one Joshua Naylor.]

Rastrick near Huddersfield
10 Nov. 1826

P.S. Luke Noble of Rastrick will thankfully Receive any answer which your Lordship may be pleased to Transmit.

I couldn’t get that one word toward the end where I put question marks. The bits in square brackets are where I am guessing the ends of words that have faded into nothingness at the ends of lines.

In between trying to get ready for a fairly long trip and other pressing affairs I have been diligently wrestling with my list of Naylor baptisms in Yorkshire for this period to try to eliminate them but mostly have felt as if I’m chasing my own tail. I have to let it go right now, but will try to come back to it in a few weeks’ time. Thank you Kite and Merry, and all others who chimed in, for your attention.

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 29-02-24 at 19:54. Reason: Had substituted '1920' for 1820 in a couple places!