View Single Post
Old 23-09-19, 14:52

I have no murders, but one of my ancestors, Henry Woolgar, was the unfortunate man who discovered this in Esher in 1854:

…. I saw her throat was cut, and her hands and face were covered with blood and her hair hung about her face. She was making a whistling noise, apparently from the wound…. the blood was spurting from her throat.”

With this horrific description, Henry Woolgar testified in one of the most sensational murder trials of Victorian England ............

“But the crowning horror was in the further room. As you approached the half-open door, you could see a bedstead foot; that was in no way startling……You put your head in at the door and you saw a sight that was almost enough to make you scream “Police!” There was a bed…exposing six children, each one with its throat cut …Gore on the little waxen faces, gore on the sheets, and on the hands that had been thrown up to protect their tender lives; and there was the murderess – she had left the razor in the windpipe of her last victim – with her throat cut as well, standing upright in her sprinkled nightdress, to welcome you with a label round her neck that provided the edifying information that this woman was nurse to his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales….”