View Single Post
Old 14-01-11, 17:39
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Ooh, how about this marriage?
Christchurch Newgate Street, 16 Nov 1812, William Horton otp bach & Ann Mary Westerfor otp spin, by banns, witnesses John Bunnley(?) and Ann Reeve.

Ancestry have transcribed the bride's name as Mary because it is quite difficult to make out the bit that says Ann at the top, but it is very clear on her signature.
I have seen that entry this morning and didn't look at it for some reason but there's always been a discrepancy with the name Ann and Mary a distant cousin in California who came over here many years ago found records with her name as Ann Mary, Ann and Mary so it's always been a bit dodgy but we decided her name was really Ann Mary something or other.

I think for me my Hortons are like my Worleys they were so much visited before the internet that notes have been taken in a hurry and not enough time to digest the information and study it and history has been manipulated because we/us didn't have access to it all like we do today. And we left them on the back burner with the conundrums and the old assumptions ...

Thank you.