Thread: The Blackmores
View Single Post
Old 12-04-22, 15:53

Default The grandchildren - part 1

There is little to discover online about Thomas junior, though plenty if I investigate court cases at TNA. Like his father, he looked to set up his children with good trades, but he probably could not see the point in wasting money on a fancy will. Unlike his father’s, hIs will is brief, mentioning the boys (and not the girls!)but only leaving them a token amount, passing the responsibility for their welfare by implication onto his wife Ann nee Raymond. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...3b4&pId=332179

Thomas wrote the will himself and got two women and a family friend to witness it. It was dated 13 March 1720/1 and proved 22 September 1722.

At the distance of tree hundred years, little can be gleaned of Ann. She was born in 1699, and wrote her will 13 Feb 1721/2 at Hammersmith, being “not well in body”. She left two London properties and £1200 to her honoured mother, a further £1000 to be divided between her siblings Raymond, John and Elizabeth, £100 for her funeral, various small legacies and £1 each to her brothers Henry and Charles. As she revoked all former wills, this suggests something had happened to split the younger boys from the rest of the family. Her will was proved 14 December 1723.

Charles, b 1696 was put apprentice to George Martyn, a brewer of Westminster in 1713/4 for a large premium. He is not mentioned in his mother’s will, so I assume he predeceased her. At the same time, there is a Charles who is a weaver, and a Charles who is a carpenter, but neither really fit the bill, and Charles the carpenter lives into old age in Southwark. There is a burial at Westminster in 1723 which may well be him.

Both George Martin and his brother Leonard died in the 1720s. Leoanard’s will, dated 3 January 1722/3 has a memorandum “security be given to Mr Charles Blackmore for the same sum as it was at first given to me to him for securing the payment of his annuity”. It looks horribly as if illness swept away both members of the Martin family and Charles Blackmore.

Their mother Ann does not appear to have been softened by the death of two of her children. If anything, it seems to have made her more implacable. Her will was made 8th May 1724 in Beenham, Berkshire and proved 1 February 1725. Raymond got her jointure under the terms of her marriage settlement, John and Elizabeth divvied up everything else and “my youngest son Henry MARRIED WITHOUT MY CONSENT AND TO THE DISHONOUR OF HIS FAMILY, for which reason I give him ten pounds and no more”

Note that according to the parish records and BTs, she was buried in December 20 1723. This date is too early for the mother and too late for the daughter!

On 16th September 1724, Elizabeth Blackmore of Beenham Berks married William Fullerton of St Christophers London by Licence in Croydon Parish Church. This is an unlikely scenario, but it is possible that the Archbishop, William Wake, was in residence in Croydon at the time. William Fullerton was a Doctor of Physic in Cloak Lane, St Barts. Their first known child was William in 1731, and on the birth of their second son, Philip in 1734, Elizabeth died. Her husband could not save her, and indeed died himself in 1737 when the family, as is usual amongst such characters, got entangled in a law suit to protect the orpaned boys.

TBC