Thread: George Best
View Single Post
Old 06-10-19, 12:20

Default George Best

My George Best was a convict who was sentenced at the Maidstone Assizes in 1790 and transported to Australia on the William and Ann. He married Martha Chamberlain in 1797, produced many children and has an overwhelming number of descendants. He died in 1836 at Seven Hills NSW reportedly at the age of 78.

George, however, appears to have arrived from outer space. There are many trees on ancestry with the story of George's life but no actual proof. I have disproven the myth that his parents are James and Frances nee Shelly, their George lead an honest and well documented life and died in England.

Ancestry hints have given me a new lead and many trees have latched onto this baptism as it fits with the rough age range people suspect for George. I managed to find the original poster of the baptism and his/her tree ends with George being born. They do not claim him as My George. They do not know their George's history.

The new George was born in Dorset, which isn't that close to Kent, but some people do travel. Could someone please have a look and see if they think this new George might be mine? Or disprove it?

The baptism is here: George, son of George and Grace

Side note for anyone picking this up on Google: George's wife Martha was not baptised at St Benet Paul's Wharf, London, England, father from memory William. William had 2 daughter's named Martha and both died in infancy.