View Single Post
Old 21-05-22, 07:26
Administrator

Quote:
i hope they all didn't live in the same house
They were all classed as in the same house (ie the same front door) but the family (7 people) were recorded as a separate household from the rest who were a household of 8 people.

James Balshaw lived in Aughton St through to 1871. I can't be sure he is in the same house, but the household was always large (never 15 though, maybe 7-10 individuals). In 1871 the house is given a number - 47. I looked at number 47 in 1891 onwards where information about the property is asked for. In 1891 and 1901 just the number of rooms if less than 5 is requested, but nothing is filled in, suggesting 5 or more rooms. In 1911 the question is The number of rooms, including the kitchen but excluding scullery, lobby or closet, office or shop. This time it says 7 rooms.

Of course we don't know for sure if the houses had been knocked down and rebuilt, or renumbered etc etc during those decades, but looking at these photos:

https://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/n...treet-11049144

you see most of the properties have Georgian style sash windows with 6-12 glazed sections, suggesting the buildings were pre-Victorian, so very likely the sort of building number 47 would have been part of. 7 rooms for 15 people would warrant an article in the tabloids today, but wouldn't have been classed as particularly overcrowded in 1841.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010